Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Inn, the game and the girls..

Parents weekend at Virginia Tech was alot of fun--and ohh so tiring... We started out the weekend on Friday night making the drive down to tech.. of course stopped for dinner which turned into a nightmare of hitting 2 burger kings because the Strausburg BK apparently hires those who won't ever be able to cope outside of the fast food world... let just say after 15 minutes I asked them " at what point is fast food not fast anymore" and the response... not a "I'm sorry" but instead "its not my fault I only take orders" after 25 minutes Mike decided to give everyone a nice lecture on teamwork and responsibility... the manager did refund our money asking if we still wanted our food! Again no apology or explaination... needless to say we left clutching our 13 dollars and 46 cents and drove 10 miles down the road to the next Burger King... gluttens for punishment??? nope they were quick and polite and we were that hungry!

Arriving in Blacksburg 4 hours later we found our accomodations for the night... Ever heard of the Knights Inn-- I am guess not... and its probably a good thing... The plastic flowers stuck in the ground passing for landscaping should have clued us in.... lets just say when we entered Mike asked me as I kicking off my shoes if I thought it wise to go barefoot in our room..... I won't even tell you what I paid for that room!

Moving right along the next morning we woke up bright and early and headed to Amandas new place... looked much better than I remembered it... and Madison seemed to be in heaven with her new roomies...
After a discussion over to drive or walk to the staduim.. we decided to walk the "20 minute but nice walk"--note to self: a nice walk to a 20 year old is like a marathon to the rest of us. We made it to our tailgate destination and met up with the parents of Amandas roommates. It was great to meet them all -having met their daughters earlier this fall. As parents we all agreed we had our hands full with these girls.. probably would have been easier had they not been intelligent and beautiful... its a lethal combination for a parent.
The game was HOT-- and a blow out which is great fun for the first half... sadly its gets alittle old in the second half when they were still winning with the second and third string players in. And did I mention how HOT it was???
We all made our way back to girls place and decided dinner was in order.. I know the girls probably would have preferred a nap as they had "plans for the evening" but we needed food-- After dropping them off we stole Madison for the night-- her first venture in a motel -- she didn't understand the nosie outside of the room and protected us for a good hour while she barked at every car that went by (did I mention that I didn't know you could build that close to the interstate?) and every person in the parking lot...
Sunday was the ZETA parents luncheon -- probably not a good idea to let Mike and Natalies dad sit next to each other... they chatted throughout the entire event... with the girls kicking them under the table... but at least they enjoyed themselves.
Amanda recieved her silver Jefferson Cup for making dean's list last semester and flowers for being on PC council as the "points natzi" as she called it. Being the proud redneck family that we are we cheered loudly... and of course snapped a few pictures.
To end a wonderful weekend.. I stole Madison.. ok so its not really stealing if you get permission... but you get the idea... I brought her home with me... Amanda will be home in a week and a half... and Mr.Wiggles misses her just as much as I do!
And it does guarantee me a visit from my daughter now doesn't it???

No comments: