Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mystery solved.

It was a first-- today I saw the corn coming down... I have driven past the fields for as long as I can remember and the corn has always been a mystery... one day it is little sprouts in the dirt, the next it is reaching for the sky and then without notice its gone. But today I saw it go... Like a blur I raced past the school and in a blink I saw the corn eating machine take a swath of green and in its wake lay red dirt... funny how something so everyday like corn fields can be so mysterious.

Those fields made me remember when I learned that all corn is not alike. I was 19 and we had driven home on a summer day and the peaches and corn from a field called out to us. Did you know you can cook field corn til the cows come home and it will never be edible? Yes even in irreverent summertime pleasures there is something to be learned....

No comments: